Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One Veggie Mc Please!

For twenty nine years, I can barely remember when I ordered a Veg pizza or a veg burger! I wasn't too sure if I could keep up my resolution of turning vegetarian!

Three months ago, I resolved that there needs to be some wholesale changes in the way I live my life. And one of them had been in controlling what I eat. I must confess that the very next day I broke my resolution as I gave into the temptation of eating chicken biryani. That incident raised a lot of self doubts in whether I can actually go about implementing the changes in my life that I was seeking for.

There is one quote which kept ringing back in my head.... "only the worm does not stumble! Everyone else does!" I resolved to have more control over my senses this time around.
Everytime I saw those helpless hens clipped off their freedom and being butchered, it made my resolve stronger. I asked myself the tough question - "is my momentary pleasure more important than their lifetime agony?"

Controlling diet was not alien to me. Being a fitness freak I always maintained a well balanced diet. But the reasons this time are very different - its not about health, its not only about compassion to other living things, but its about controlling from indulgence.

There has been so much going on in my life externally. Infact so much happening on my professional front that I have to consciously slowdown to strike a balance with my personal life. But I think last few months have been so hectic in a different direction... an urge to conquer my earthly desires. Being an entrepreneur, it is not the easiest thing to strike a balance of controlling the desires and yet strive for betterment of the setup that I run. But thankfully, there have been multiple sources from where I get my direction and inspiration.

Books, my teacher and my own innerself - have been very useful in helping me show the direction. A book which has profoundly influenced my decision to turn veggie is Mahatma Gandhi's "My experiments with the Truth". I have heard from various sources (including my recent 'art of living' classes) that the food we eat dictates our senses. But I must confess that I have been "arrogant" enough to believe I was a very strong-willed person and I could control my thoughts without resorting to changes in dietary habits. But as I read through Gandhiji's autobiography, one question started staring in my face - "What the hell do you think of yourself? A Mahatma like Gandhiji found it useful to control his diet and where do you stand?"
Yes... sprouts for breakfast soon replaced dosas and vadas. Am not able to give up spices completely yet. But here is a start and I must say that I see a lot of changes in me already.
I started hesitantly but in the last 3 months, I have had various ocassions of temptations. But I will tell you that the happiness and pride I have in not giving in for those momentary pleasures is immeasurable.

According to Gautama Buddha in Dhammapada, one who conquers himself and his desires is a thousand times more powerful than the warrior who has slain a thousand men on the battlefield. Now when I read that, surely I was inspired to try that. But I will admit I was scared too. I doubted whether I can even start the journey.

My teacher encouraged me to meditate to calm down my inner conflicts. Again to be honest, my "ego" started dancing and I said "I dont need meditation to cool me down! I am born intelligent and I shall find answers through my intellectual skills!". But then something prodded me to start meditation which definitely introduced me to what I now consider as the finest form to connect with the one-ness of life! Well, its not all rosy and I still struggle very hard to feel that bliss, but I will confess that I do notice that meditation gives me a lot of strength from within. It generates a feeling of compassion to life (specially the weaker ones) which most probably was absent (or at best inactive) in me earlier.

I can sometimes get a little difficult to handle for my over eagerness to do things in a fast pace! Everytime my teacher tried to congratulate me on every little step I could take, I would always ask her if there would be a day where I could walk free from all temptations even with options and temptations right around me!

As if to answer my question, I had to make a trip to the Forum mall with my wife. I wondered if I could really keep up my experiments when I walk into a place of so many distractions! I have resolved not to give any girl a second look however beautiful she might be! And here I am walking into a place like Forum where all the girls would come in their best attire, some of them even in short skirts. I wondered if I could still walk through that crowd with out reacting to any of the external stimulus. I have not been 100% in the past in this experiment - I think I did turn around a couple of times to have a second look in the last few months - and here I was wondering if I could actually do it in the shopping mall.

I went around the mall... spent sometime with the books there in Landmark. Surprisingly I did manage not to give anyone a second look even from the corner of my eyes! We walked to Mc Donalds. Feeling a bit odd, but with out a second thought I proudly said "Veggie Mac Please"! Yes I said VEGGIE!

The evening reassured me that I was capable of sticking to my resolutions if I try hard enough. Sticking to my resolutions for three months by avoiding to go to the eating joint is one thing. But to turn it away when it is just a 'pick away' is something different! And I felt elated with that.

The same evening also showed me to let go all the things that my intellectual brain ever taught me and to embrace and listen to my inner voice. But then things do not end here...
What I really have achieved here is to control my actions not necessarily the thoughts. The urge to take care of my stomach and other senses still lingered on. It is just that I have learnt to refuse to give them any leeway. But an ideal situation would be to not even your thoughts wander. Tall ask, but I would believe that would be the next logical thing to follow. And I seek encouragement from what caught my attention from Bhagwad Geetha - "When you abstain from the object of desire (maya), the urge still lingers on. When you realize your full potential with the help of Grace even that urge gets annihilated!"

Well... that could take a lifetime. Atleast this time around I would not want to be arrogant to believe that its a cakewalk!

9 comments:

Tys on Ice said...

hey there...its been a long time and I had to go through most of my post to get ur site...maybe I shud hve just blogrolled u to start with ( blame it on sheer laziness)...

funny.

ur post was thought provoking...its this phase iam in rite now....all my life i have considered myself, rather arrogantly iam afraid, as an intellectual who could think his way through lifes idocracies...but now iam beginning to understand that inorder for me to absorb anything i hve to first let go all everything iam i have stuffed myself with...knowledge attained thru books, thru sermons, thru others, thru heritance etc...

thus about 1 year ago i let go of everything. I decided that I will relearn everything , but this time i will logicaly question everything, analysis everything , while trying as much as i can not to let my personality interfer with the process...

there was a time when i had a calmness within me, which i seem to have lost sometime ago...now its replaced by this turmoil within which i dont recognize...

i plan to learn meditation....i will let u know its progress...

all the best buddy...its gud to know that u r doing well...

Raghu said...

yes long time indeed... a much needed sabatical to get my priorities right :)

there's a three letter word for what you describe here... EGO! Ego, I guess manifests itself in a much larger way than we traditionally understand... it craves for attention, puts you in the centre of the world, expects that you be the centre of other's world too!

Regarding that sudden changes in calmness - I know exactly what you mean. Try meditation and you will be back on track ... I think you have answered the call already a year back when you decided to let go what you learnt.

I cant help but share a little experience as I read through the phrases 'logically question' and 'analyze everything'. That did not work for me. Because the minute you bring in logic, you expect everything around you to be perfect - now that hardly is the case... the events, the people or for that matter even our own selves are far from perfect. What seems to be working for me (atleast as of now) is the answers I get from inside...

But you should still try whatever works for you :)

And I want to talk about this again after you practice meditation. Now no laziness there please! :P

And if you need help, drop in an email to me and I will be happy to connect you to my teacher.

Moonstruck Girl said...

I am very happy for you :) This is probably the most enjoyable phase :) of transformation, of newness :) Quite an exciting journey to be on :)

Cheers,
Me

Raghu said...

enjoyable may be... but certainly a very tough phase :)

btw... i like the way you have been transforming too... :)

Moonstruck Girl said...

Hey,

You are tagged :)
http://impulsive-outpourings.blogspot.com/2008/06/le-noir.html

Cheers,
Me

Moonstruck Girl said...

You are tagged again :)

http://impulsive-outpourings.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-fives.html

Anonymous said...

I bloghopped from tys site on to yours... i like the post overall and yes it is thoughtprovoking... except for the following...

the mall part seems out of place... don't understand the whole thing about you controlling your urges and not looking at girls... are your trying to say that all these girls in the mall are akin to chicken biryani and are more appetizing...?

If you are staring at other girls while walking in a mall with your wife then 'turning vegeterian' should be the last thing i would worry about :-P

cheers

Raghu said...

@anon

My thoughts here were centred around controlling of indulgence.

What I realized is that when you can not stop eating chicken biryani, you are bowing down to the urges of the tongue! When you turn around and look at a woman, you are responding to a similar urge.

I am trying to cultivate a few habits which have not come to me naturally. I am trying to respect a person for his/her innerself rather than looks. Thats so easy to say but I hardly see anyone follow it in the true sense. This is probably my own way of trying to train my mind to ignore the external appearances, for my belief is that we turn around because something in a girl's appearance catches our attention.

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hi, аftеr reaԁing this аmazing piесe of writing i
аm as well chеerful to shaгe my knοw-how here with friends.


Here іs my sіte ... bet365