Friday, August 1, 2008

No Shame Please!

I remember when I was in my late teens, I was almost arrested by the police because I stood up and raised my voice against a policeman using unfair force in bullying a rather helpless guy at the railway station. If not for the timely intervention of my dad who came running from behind, I would have ended up being beaten up and thrown in the jail that evening.

For a long time I have been struggling to understand why I have lost that "courage" to stand up for what I believe is right. Was it education? Was it the "influence" of people around me preaching me how important it was to be "diplomatic" and "practical"? I know not, but I surely confess that I had lost a few of my traits and regretfully even compromised on my value system.

I remember a few years ago, I picked up sprite and poured it in my glass and not my usual 'orange' colored mirinda/fanta at a party. Why? Because I wanted people to think I was sipping vodka! I didnt want to be the only guy left out from the "crowd". To be "cool", may be I wanted them not to know that I keep away from alcohol.

A couple of months ago, I saw a grasshopper perched on my bike mirror. In an attempt to get it back onto the tree, I accidentally hit it the other way. It fell right in the centre of the road instead of the trees on the side. I kept looking at the little green creature trot and trying to move to the other side of the road. With so many vehicles whizzing past, it was not an easy task. I kept looking but did not budge to help it - inspite of the fact that I was the guy who was actualy responsible for it to be thrown into that situation. Why? I was thinking "what would the onlookers think of me? That I would go with a paper and save such a small insect and leave it back in the trees?"

I could not stop thinking of the grasshopper even while I was driving back home. Something kept haunting me that yet again I failed to stand up for what came from my heart. I still can remember the little green fellow and the "dot-like" eyes it used to stare right back into mine while it was perched on my bike mirror. I still feel as if it was asking me "was it more important to give into your false ego than to save me from a potential runover by a truck?"

A month ago, I saw a few guys sleeping on the footpath. I just walked on, as if to say "I do not care!" But something kept haunting me again... is it right for me to just walk away from the incident? Am I really that helpless? Would I not have bent backwards to keep one of my customers delighted! And if that earns me a tag of being "extremely professional in business", then what shameful tag should it earn me to just walk away as if I was blind to the poverty and despair around me?

I do not know when I last had even a weekend for myself away from work. Am I running away from a stream of disturbing thoughts that seem to be comming up from deep inside by keeping myself insanely busy? I am not able to answer my own conscience if I have lost my way somewhere in between.

I ought to change myself. And I resolve to do that. And the little step in that would be that I will not hesitate to express and execute what I think is right - atleast in small ways.

I started gazing at the moon as I walk back from home every night from work amidst the cool breeze and I tell myself that I am made by the same creator that made that white heavenly sphere. And I also tell myself that even that moon is not blemishless but it still is so beautiful. So with all the weakness I have, I still wish to make an effort to bring out some beauty in the life around me.

And last week, I was on the tennis court, I am terribly proud that I stopped, picked up an ant from the court and left it in the safety of the grass blades outside the court. This I did while the other three players waited and were looking and smiling at what I did! Now, thats a small step in the direction I want to go... I do not want to be ashamed or feel shy to express what I think is right! I want to live for myself - and with my beliefs even if the whole world mocks at them. I pray that God gives me the courage and will power to stand up for what is right.

6 comments:

Moonstruck Girl said...

I understand your dilemma (or what used to be a dilemma). I think it's only human to want to be accepted by others .. But as you rightly point out, that should not stop us from doing any good. :)

Raghu said...

@im
true... its "natural" to feel that you be accepted by others. But the risk you run there is that you hold yourself ransom to external factors. Hence I guess its worth every ounce of energy to "cultivate" the habit of being driven from an internal source :)

Karkuzhali said...

Hey Raghu,

A thought-provoking write-up. I perfectly understand your predicament.

When I was young, I used to brush with reality quite often. And, my parents ensured that I face the grim stuff of life and be thankful for whatever I had.

I doubt whether I do the same for my children. Even I don't stop to think of these things nowadays and I feel ashamed of it, honestly.

Love,
Anamika

Raghu said...

@anamika

the first step is to have the courage to accept it.

and yes... when time comes, am sure you will teach your kids to face the world in its true spirit.

Tys on Ice said...

yesterday u let the wht the society thought control u, today you have let the society take notice at wht u do...

i know how u feel..fight that every day of my life...it all amounts to fear doesnt it?....i no longer care...its liberating...i do wht my heart tells me, there and then...moves on...very scared of being noticed lest it seems too peity full...hell, i dont even believe in a god...alleast not yet...but i like to sleep....I like to see my face in the mirror and like myself....

to me, its simple, if iam aware and do nothing, then iam guilty....but sometimes the consequences are so scary...hope i will have the courage when the time demands it.

Raghu said...

@tys
lot of times inspite of being cognizant of the repurcursions of our actions on others, we still go ahead with them!

and moving from that state to feeling guilty for inaction itself is a decent progress in listening to the conscience.

now the next step ... with time ... should be to replace that guilt and inaction with action! I guess that would be the next logical step in the evolution of a human being.